The Head of service of Nigeria, Winifred Oyo-Ita has turned in her resignation in a letter to President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday, August 19.
After reports emerged that she was being probed over an alleged N3 billion contract scam, Oyo-Ita has been under pressure by her family to retire.
Although she has vehemently denied involvement in any scam, she has bowed to family pressures. The HOSOF sent in a letter offering to proceed on retirement.
Buhari is yet to take a final decision on it. However, he is said to be favourably disposed to the option.
Oyo-Ita was conspicuously absent at the presidential retreat held at the statehouse conference centre in Abuja. The retreat was organised for ministers-designate, federal permanent secretaries and top government functionaries.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) recently questioned Oyo-Ita over allegations that she used front companies to get contracts. The allegations involved her time as a permanent secretary before her appointment as head of service by Buhari in 2015.
Oyo-Ita denies any wrongdoing
There were insinuations that she was being “punished” for “falling out” with Abba Kyari. But sources said the president’s chief of staff was unaware of the EFCC probe. Kyari was said to have heard of it only after it was leaked to the media.
The EFCC said the petition against her was written in 2014 when President Goodluck Jonathan was still in office.
It was also reported that N600 million was traced to the account of one of her aides. The aide had been quizzed by the anti-graft agency and released.
However, Oyo-Ita denied the allegation. Further, she stated that the money was meant for the death benefits of staff. Also, she disclosed that it was meant to be in a designated account for that purpose by the project accountant.
“She denied knowing anything about where the money was kept and said there was no fraud involved. At least not from her end,” a source said.