University of Lagos (UNILAG), hereby suspends the 51st convocation of the institution scheduled to start on March 9, four days after the was announced.
Mr Oladejo Azeez, the institution Registrar, signed a circular on the institution website, which announced the cancellation, of which he gave no reason to.
A leaked memo to the Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission (NUC) and signed by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Sonny Ochono, noted that the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the varsity’s Governing Council, Dr. Wale Babalakin, had informed the Education Minister, Adamu Adamu in a letter dated March 2, that the programme was not approved by his board.
The letter was titled: “Re: Invitation to the 2019 Convocation Ceremony of the University of Lagos”.
“The attention of the honourable minister has been attached copy of letter dated 2nd of March 2020 from the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council, Dr. B.O. Babalakin to the effect that the 2019 convocation ceremonies were not approved by the Governing Council in line with the laws of the University.
“I am to, therefore, request that you kindly advise the Vice-Chancellor to suspend the convocation and ensure full compliance with due process.”
Messages were sent to verify the cancellation, UNILAG’s Vice Chancellor, Prof Toyin Ogundipe, and the Deputy Registrar, Information and Protocol, Mrs. Taiwo Oloyede, to confirm rumours of the postponement of the convocation but there was no response got.
But later confirmed the postponement and said the University would release its official statement Thursday night.
“I did not respond to your message because I did not want to. The convocation has been postponed. We will send an official statement tonight,” she said.
The Prof. Ogundipe led management and the Governing Council have been at loggerheads on the running of the university.
Last year, the Education ministry and the House of Representatives had to reconcile both parties.