The recent death toll in Kaduna state, due to attacks carried out by of unknown gunmen has risen to 130, Governor Nasir El-Rufai announced on Tuesday. El- Rufai had earlier on Friday announced that 66 persons in Kajuru were killed by unknown attackers.
Addressing State House Correspondents after attending an extended security meeting held by President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday, the governors said the figures have gone up. the security meeting which was convened to discuss the re-emergence of insecurity in Kaduna, Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States had three governors and security chiefs in attendance.a
Several persons initially expressed uncertainty at the report of the killings, which came on the eve of the now postponed presidential elections. El-Rufai said those who doubted them were ‘grossly irresponsible’. He said as Governor,he receives and reads security briefings every morning and that the latest reports shows that over 130 people were killed and not 66.
El- Rufai also said relatives of the victims have already provided the state government with the names of those killed. He said the names will be released to the media. The Kaduna
“We intend prosecuting those arrested today but as we speak three more are arrested. We want to do the needful before taking them to court”. he said.