Fresh reports have it that not less than 49 people have been shot dead as unknown gunmen open fire in two mosques in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand.
The situation has been described as a coordinated and unprecedented attack that has shocked the usually peaceful nation.
According to New Zealand’s police commissioner, four people have been arrested comprising of a woman and a man, however he believes there could be more suspects at large.
The attack occurred at the al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue and Linwood Masjid in Linwood, both in Christchurch’s city center.
“We are unsure if there are any other locations outside of that area that are under threat,” Bush said, adding that the two locations were on lockdown.
Multiple improvised explosive devices were attached to vehicles as part of the attack, Bush told reporters. These had been “made safe by the defense force.”
“This goes to the seriousness of the situation,” he said.
Police were still treating the incident as ongoing into Friday evening local time and urged Christchurch residents to stay indoors and monitor the police website and social media.