With the trending news that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) gubernatorial candidate Jimi Agbaje has dumped the party for the rulling All Progressives Congress, e247mag.com looks at his political journey so far.
The 62-year-old father of five is vast in banking, having had stint with Guarantee Trust Bank as the CEO. He is also the founder of a Lagos based pharmaceutical and chemical company before venturing into politics in 2005.
Here are 8 facts about his political journey so far.
1. He joined politics after the annulment of June 12, 1993 elections having described himself as an ‘activist’.
2. He has worked under ‘concerned professionals’ including Prof. Pat Utomi, Dr Ayo Ighodaro, Asue Ighodalo, Billy Lawson, Oby Ezekwesili, Tola Mobolurin and Hassan Odukale.
3. He was the national treasurer of the Afenifere socio/political group.
4. His affiliation with Afenifere made him join Action Congress (AC) at that time.
5. Jimi Agbaje who was eyeing the Lagos state governorship seat dumped AC to join the Democratic People’s Alliance (DPA) in 2007 after he learnt that Bola Tinubu had anointed someone else an election he lost to Tunde Fashola.
6. He left DPA to join PDP in 2011 after the party was de-registered by INEC.
7. In 2015, he defeated Musiliu Obanikoro to become the PDP governorship flagbearer but eventually lost the main election to Akinwunmi Ambode of the All Progressives Congress.
8. In 2019, Jimi Agbaje’s PDP lost to APC’s Sannwo-Olu in the Lagos state gubernatorial election.