Kaduna state commissioner for health,confirmed the death of a 36-year-old male who was tested positive of Lassa fever in the state on monday.
Dr Amina Baloni,The state Commissioner for Health,announced at a news conference in Kaduna, adding that the patient died on Sunday night and had already been buried.
She said,a total of 11 suspected cases has been recorded by the state,out of which,eight were returned,seven were negative and one positive who just died.38 suspects are currently on follow-up contact,according to her.
The commissioner added that suspected cases in various health facilities should be withdrawn from Ribavirin, an antiviral medication used to treat RSV infection, hepatitis C and some viral hemorrhagic fevers.
According to her, an active search is going on by the state to stop the spread of the disease.
She said, “The Ministry of Health had supplied infectious diseases control centre with the necessary commodities and health personnel and ready to manage any cases that may arise.
“The epidemiology unit is monitoring the situation closely, and all health facilities are on alert for prompt referral of suspected cases.”
She dispelled the rumor that Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital had been shut in the name of sequester, saying “we didn’t close the hospital, but tried to restrict unnecessary visitation to patients to prevent them from contacting some other infectious diseases, not only Lassa fever.
“The practice of visiting and staying long in the hospital should be discouraged, especially with young children.”
The commissioner said “the state government will take care of everything about victims’ bills and burial.
“We have raised a Rapid Response Committee and an Emergency Preparedness Committee toward tackling the scourge.”