With a rematch bout already schedule to hold in Las Vegas on November 11, Wladimir Klitschko pulled the plug by calling it quit from the boxing world.
In an unexpected way, the Ukraine fighter, 41, shocked the world by retiring earlier this month. Briton’s heavyweight champion, Anthony Joshua has however described Klitschko retire as a “massive” disappointment.
Joshua, 27, who defeated Klitschko at the Wembley Stadium in April said:
“In my heart of hearts I kind of knew he probably wouldn’t fight again,” said Joshua.
“He was saying how obsessed he was with becoming heavyweight champion of the world again. If you fail at the first hurdle, you go again – [he] knew from my side I was ready for a rematch, making it clear that if he wants to go again, we’ll go again.
“With Klitschko, we weren’t hearing too much, so I just thought he was 50-50, but I had a feeling he might not fight again.”
When asked how much of a disappointment Klitschko’s retirement was, Joshua replied: “Massive. It was probably even a disappointment for his management, his trainer [Johnathon Banks].”